Recipe by love4culinary
This is a wonderful recipe from my MIL :-) It is absolutely delicious! Cook and prep times are approximate
Top Review by Van D Mann
This is delicious, especially if one adds cream! My mom makes this as well but leaves out the milk so that the vermicelli is dry and caramelised/butterscotch like flavoured. The cinnammon is absolutely crucial. I thought no one else knew of this recipe, how wrong I was. Well done.
- 200 g fine vermicelli, broken into 1 inch pieces
- 250 g sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons ghee or 6 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 400 ml water
- 700 ml milk
- 2 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 2 Tablespoons ghee/clarified butter/oil in a pan and heat on low-medium.
- Fry raisins until they"swell".
- Set aside.
- Heat water and spices in a large saucepan (lg enough to fit all ingredients) over medium heat.
- On another burner, add 4 Tablespoons of ghee/clarified butter/oil to a large frying pan, and add vermicelli.
- Fry over medium heat, stirring with a spatula very often, until golden brown.
- Reduce the heat after it has browned, and slowly add sugar, salt, and boiling water; stir well.
- Leave to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add milk, and raisins, and boil for a few more minutes.
- Eat warm.
- If you wish to eat this cold, place in a container (which has a tight fitting lid) and allow it to sit out until slightly cooled with lid only 1/2 way on.
- When slightly cooled, pick up lid, wipe away moisture, and then tightly close the container and refrigerate for several hours until chilled.