Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful recipe from my MIL :-) It is absolutely delicious! Cook and prep times are approximate
- 200 g fine vermicelli, broken into 1 inch pieces
- 250 g sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons ghee or 6 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 400 ml water
- 700 ml milk
- 2 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Put 2 Tablespoons ghee/clarified butter/oil in a pan and heat on low-medium.
- Fry raisins until they"swell".
- Set aside.
- Heat water and spices in a large saucepan (lg enough to fit all ingredients) over medium heat.
- On another burner, add 4 Tablespoons of ghee/clarified butter/oil to a large frying pan, and add vermicelli.
- Fry over medium heat, stirring with a spatula very often, until golden brown.
- Reduce the heat after it has browned, and slowly add sugar, salt, and boiling water; stir well.
- Leave to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add milk, and raisins, and boil for a few more minutes.
- Eat warm.
- If you wish to eat this cold, place in a container (which has a tight fitting lid) and allow it to sit out until slightly cooled with lid only 1/2 way on.
- When slightly cooled, pick up lid, wipe away moisture, and then tightly close the container and refrigerate for several hours until chilled.
This is delicious, especially if one adds cream! My mom makes this as well but leaves out the milk so that the vermicelli is dry and caramelised/butterscotch like flavoured. The cinnammon is absolutely crucial. I thought no one else knew of this recipe, how wrong I was. Well done.