- 1 -4 tablespoon olive oil (original has 4tbsp)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hreesa mixed spice (see my Hreesa/Harissa (Red Pepper Spice))
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 4 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups vermicelli, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a saucepan and saute onion over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika, hreesa, turmeric, and bay leaves and saute a few minutes more.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except vermicelli and cilantro); bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes; then stir in vermicelli.
- Cover and cook for another 15 minutes; then stir in cilantro and serve immediately.