Recipe by Mary W.
This is a fast version of regular verenika, which is individual dumplings filled with a cottage cheese mixture, boiled, then fried, and then served with a ham gravy. But it has the flavor of the original verenika dish. Once a year, regular verenika is served at our MCC sale to raise funds for the Mennonite Central Committee. I got the recipe from our church cookbook and have changed it just a little.
- 10 -12 ounces Reames frozen noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 (24 ounce) carton cottage cheese, -rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 lb of chopped ham
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups country cream gravy (i have made this by using a package of pioneer brand gravy mix or by making a white sauce. see recip) or 2 cups white sauce (i have made this by using a package of pioneer brand gravy mix or by making a white sauce. see recip)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil frozen egg noodles as per package directions, drain and place in bottom of greased casserole dish - I use 9 x 11 inch pan.
- Mix drained cottage cheese with the two eggs, salt and pepper.
- Layer over the noodles.
- Add spooonfuls of sour cream over the top of the casserole.
- Saute chopped onions and ham until onions are tender.
- Stir in to the cream gravy and pour on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.