Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Vera has attributed this recipe to "Aunt Ola". I have eaten Vera's, but haven't made it myself. Vera recommended refrigerating the salad overnight for the flavors to blend, cook time includes refrigeration prior to serving.
- 1 lb green beans, drained
- 1 lb red kidney beans, drained
- 1 lb yellow wax bean, drained
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, any oil you prefer is fine
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine drained beans in a non-reactive bowl.
- Add green pepper, green onion, and celery.
- For the dressing, stream oil into vinegar and whisk to combine.
- Add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over veggies and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate over night before serving.
This was wonderful! I found the mix of flavors to be a perfect balance of sweet and sour. In fact, with the flavors the vegetables imparted to the salad, it reminded me of the best sweet & sour stir-fry I have had. This will definitely be a favorite for summer weather and barbecues! Thank you.
Delicious! I halved the recipe and didn't use kidney beans. Thanks, I will make this again!
This is a NICE SIMPLE SWEET three bean recipe. I really liked the mix of colors. I used Enova oil, white vinegar and Splenda. I did refrigerate it overnight. I think I would enjoy this more, less sweet and with more spices or herbs.