Cook1 hr 10 mins
Another great recipe passed on to me by my husband's grandma. I usually don't make bread, but this one is a keeper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar together.
- Combine egg, milk, shortening and honey.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- Mix until the flower is dampened.
- Stir in applesauce and raisins.
- Fold in wheat flakes.
- Turn into greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour and 10 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Wrap in foil and store overnight for easiest slicing.
Tagged Beverage Tag Holiday 2008 This is very good bread. I like that it is a quick bread and the apples and raisins make me feel as though it is healthy! I usually make a banana type bread but his was great for breakfast or the sweet tooth. I also made this recipe a 2nd time for muffins. DH liked them to take with him for breakfast as he has given up eating donuts. :) I used wheat flakes first time and bran flakes the 22nd time, subbed 1/4 cup splenda for the sugar, and low fat applesauce in 2nd batch. Both tasted great! This is a keeper!
This was tasty. I used Splenda for the sugar but kept the honey. I think less honey or Splenda/sugar would work, though. Was a tad on the sweet side. I left out the raisins (don't like them!) I adjusted bake time down as directed by makers of Splenda.
This was great! A little sweet for me, but I'm not a big sweets person. My daughter just gobbled this up and while my DH hasn't tried it yet, I'm sure it'll be gone as soon as he does. It was a little crumbly/dry so I think next time I'll try baking it for only 1 hour.