Recipe by AshK
This sauce can be frozen or canned in a hot water bath. It makes around 2 quarts, and is a great basic sauce that leaves room to add your own favorites like mushrooms, sausage, or cheeses. I have found that dried spices work best in this sauce.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
I made this yesterday and had it for dinner tonight. Like the previous reviewer, I used canned tomatoes and added about a tbsp of brown sugar. Delicious. DD loved it too and she's a hard sell.
- 12 large tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree tomatoes in your food processor or blender 2-3 at a time and strain.
- Cook onion in oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Lightly crush the basil and oregano in your palm and add to the onion and garlic.
- Add remainder of ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.
- Cool and freeze or can at once.