Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I've tasted this recipe many times. The apples are great over ice cream or as a topping for french toast or pancakes. I am planning on trying to make it this fall.
- 28 cups apples, sliced
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine everything but the apples and lemon juice.
- Cook until thick and bubbly.
- Add 3 tbs lemon juice.
- Pack apple slices tightly into quart jars and cover with syrup.
- Cold pack for 20 minutes to preserve or give to friends to use up within 2 weeks.
I have used this recipe for 30 years. Makes the best apple pie you ever ate. Make and give it as gifts all thte time..My kids would eat it straight out of the jar. It's DELICIOUS!!
This recipe is great, I would give it more than 5 stars. It is so convenient to have this on hand!!!
I just made this and it is boiling as I type this. I tasted the filling and it is fantastic. I made this to give as Christmas presents with a homemade mix for a cobbler, and a homemade apple candle. I WILL be ready for Christmas this year (for once). Thank You so much for posting such a great recipe!