Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a tasty way to use up those end-of-the-summer tomatoes.
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 finely chopped onion
- 1 (9 ounce) bag fresh spinach, rinsed,dried and coarse stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato and carefully scoop out the insides; sprinkle the shells with salt and invert onto paper towels to drain while you prepare the stuffing.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels and crumble; pour off all but 2 T of fat from the skillet.
- Cook the onions in the bacon drippings for 5 minutes.
- Slice the spinach into medium-sized pieces, stir into the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes, until wilted; remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375°.
- Add the sour cream and bacon to the spinach; stir well to combine and fill the tomatoes with the mixture and place in a greased 8-inch baking dish or pie plate.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until tender.
- Top with the shredded cheese and bake 2-3 minutes longer.
MMMMM MMMMM GOOD! These were fairly easy to make and tasted terrific. I wouldn't change a thing.