Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was actually created for Super Bowl Sunday
Make and share this Venison with Black Bean Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 tablespoons marsala
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 4 -6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 15 juniper berries (necessary)
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 lbs venison stew meat, trimmed and diced (about 1 "inch" cubes -- any cut will do)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic (more for me)
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 cups red wine (drink rest of bottle if desired)
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 can tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (more I say!)
- pepper (fresh ground)
- 1 cup diced thick slab bacon
- 2 cups black beans, cooked (but important, know what I mean?) (optional)
- Wash and pat dry meat dry.
- Mix ingredients together well in a large bowl.
- Usually an extra large zip-lock style baggie is what I prefer to use for freshness and ease.
- Add venison to baggies and add marinade.
- Seal to remove most air, but leave enough so it will shift when turned (at least twice).
- Marinate meat overnight prior to cooking please.
- In a crock-pot, pour in chicken stock and begin heating on high heat.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter and sauté the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar and cook until onions and garlic brown slightly, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the red wine, vinegar, and tomato paste and chicken stock along with the cumin, cayenne, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, 30-35 minutes.
- Add mixture to chicken stock in crock-pot.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet heat oil and fry bacon until it browns.
- Remove bacon-leaving grease behind; add venison, salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat, stirring occasionally, until brown.
- Add crumbled bacon, meat and black beans to mixture in crock-pot.
- Add additional spices if necessary.
- Let simmer on high for about 3 hours.
- Taste for seasoning after about 1 hour.
- Turn heat to low and cook until ready to serve.
- The longer it cooks, the better it gets!