Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 lbs smoked venison sausage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- Remove casing from sausage, and discard.
- Brown meat in a large, lightly greased skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble.
- Remove sausage, and drain well, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Saute onion in drippings; drain well, and discard drippings.
- Combine onion, tomatoes, oregano, and pepper in skillet.
- Simmer until thoroughly heated; remove from heat.
- Arrange potatoes in a lightly greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish.
- Top with carrots.
- Sprinkle sausage over carrots; spoon tomato mixture over sausage.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
- 8 servings.
- Note: Thinly sliced Polish sausage may be substituted for venison sausage, if desired.