1/2 Photos of Venison Tenderloin with Cabernet Sauce
1 hr 5 mins
TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
Another favourite venison recipe. This recipe considers farm-raised deer which is readily available in better butcher shops, or some larger super markets. A favourite cook offers up this recipe, and can be found in "Lee Bailey's Cooking for Friends". I like Lee Bailey's recipes because he shops for fresh ingredients; I have tried to make a habit of doing just that for each dinner party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs axis venison loin or 2 1/2 lbs denver cut venison
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cabernet sauvignon wine
- 1/2 cup shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Rub the venison with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Put olive oil in a heavy skillet.
- 4Add venison and sear over high heat until browned on all sides- about 3 minutes Place in oven and roast until medium-rare; for 16- 20 minutes, turning once.
- 5Meanwhile, combine the wine with the vegetables and herbs and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce by half over medium heat- about 8 minutes.
- 7Strain out vegetables and discard.
- 8In a saucepan, reduce broth by half over high heat- about 7 minutes.
- 9Combine all the liquids.
- 10When meat is done, remove to cutting board and cover loosely with foil.
- 11Pour any fat from the pan and deglaze with the reduced liquids
- 12Whisk in the cold butter and add salt and pepper.
- 13Spoon a bit of sauce over each meat serving.
Browse Our Top Wild Game Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Wild Game Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venison Tenderloin with Cabernet Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.2
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 51.8 mg
- Sodium 126.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 13.4 g