Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Oh so tender! Last night it was venison steak, tonight it is venison tenderloin. Thanks again Scott--and thank you Phillip! (another dear deer man!) Thanks Carrie and Tom!
- 1 lb venison tenderloin (medallions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 medium onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (mashed and diced)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms (fresh, sliced)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water
- Lightly sprinkle tenderloins with pepper and set aside.
- Sauté onions in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add garlic and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, sautéing another 10 minutes.
- When done, remove vegetables and add the rest of the butter.
- Sauté venison 2-3 minutes per side.
- When done, place on platter and return vegetables to pan.
- Add flour stirring until it becomes a thick brown paste.
- Add water, continuing to stir, until gravy is of desired consistency, adding more water if you wish.
- Correct seasoning and pour over tenderloins.
A great recipe, but I must say: salt is required, at some point. I'd salt the meat when I pepper it for sure. I'd probably add a little salt to the gravy, too. Also, I used three medium onions (on the largeish side) and it was definitely onion overload, so I'd probably use two next time. Of course, that is all a matter of personal taste. Otherwise, great recipe, and I appreciate you sharing it! :)
This was DELICIOUS! I added more garlic & used more butter to create the sauce but my foodie husband LOVED it! This will definitely be made very often!
Very, very good. I only used 1 large onion sliced thin. I added salt and pepper. Everything else is as the recipe is written.<br/>This is an amazing dish! Thanks for sharing.