Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Can substitute any red meat. The directions call for baking in oven but I like to simmer most of my recipes on top of the stove for 2-3 hours. It is much easy to taste the meat to see if it's tender. I also like to add broccoli to this sometimes.
- 2 lbs venison sirloin or 2 lbs round steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup bacon fat or 1⁄4 cup other fat
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup tart fruit juice, cranberry or 1 cup apple
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Cut venison into 2 inch pieces.
- Melt fat in heavy skillet. Add meat and garlic and saute until brown on all sides.
- Arrange meat in 2 quart casserole.
- Put onions in skillet and cook 2 minutes in remaining fat.
- Add to onions the water, juices, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt.
- Pour this mixture over venison in casserole.
- Bake in slow oven 325 degrees for 1-2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Melt butter in fry pan, stir in flour. Stir constantly until smooth.
- Add sour cream and cook at low temperature for five minutes.
- Pour over meat in casserole.
- Serve immediately with buttered noodles or plain noodles.