Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
A friend suggested stuffing patty pan squash similar to a green pepper, I thought it sounded pretty good. Here's what I came up with.
- 2 pattypan squash
- 1⁄3 cup rice (uncooked)
- 1⁄2 lb ground venison
- 1⁄4 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup orange bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- cut the stem off of the patty pan squash and place upside down in 1/2" of water in a casserole dish. Cook for 1/2 hour in a 350 degree oven (till slightly tender but not soft).
- While the squash is baking, cook 1/3 cup of rice.
- brown ground venison adding seasonings to taste.
- add bell peppers and onion to venison and sautee about 4 minutes.
- Remove squash from the oven, scoop out the meaty part of the squash discarding the seeds.
- Combine the rice, venison, peppers, onions and squash. Add 2/3 cup water and simmer till reduced and the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Fill Patty Pan with mixture, top with shredded cheese and bake for 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven.