Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is the man's favorite stew recipe. I use a 5-quart crockpot and this recipe just fits in it. He prefers a thinner broth, so this isn't a thick, gravy like stew, but its a very tasty one!! His grandfather gave me the hint of adding cabbage to the stew, it definately enhances the flavor! Beef stew meat can also be substituted.
- 2 lbs venison, cut in stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 head cabbage, chopped
- Mix together flour, garlic salt, Mrs. Dash, and pepper.
- Dredge stew meat in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat and saute vension cubes until just browned on the outside.
- Do not cook completely through.
- Place stew meat into crockpot and then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir to mix.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir before serving.
Excellent! Did not use Mrs. Dash, rutabaga, or cabbage. Flavor was amazing!!
Very simple recipe which I find makes the best stews. The one thing I find helpful with crock pot recipes is that you should heat the broth to just past "warm" before adding it to the crock. It cuts off a substantial amount of time keeping the slow cooker from having to warm the broth. It shaves about 30 minutes off of this recipe for me and since the water isn't hot enough to "cook" yet, it doesn't change the outcome of the flavor/tenderness.
This was well flavored & a nice crockpot recipe. We really enjoyed the addition of the turnips to the stew. It was something new to our standard stew, but really delicious. This does make a big batch and I froze the leftovers in containers. Thank you for sharing the recipe!