This is the man's favorite stew recipe. I use a 5-quart crockpot and this recipe just fits in it. He prefers a thinner broth, so this isn't a thick, gravy like stew, but its a very tasty one!! His grandfather gave me the hint of adding cabbage to the stew, it definately enhances the flavor! Beef stew meat can also be substituted.
- 2 lbs venison, cut in stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 head cabbage, chopped
- Mix together flour, garlic salt, Mrs. Dash, and pepper.
- Dredge stew meat in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat and saute vension cubes until just browned on the outside.
- Do not cook completely through.
- Place stew meat into crockpot and then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir to mix.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir before serving.