Recipe by wildaboutcooking
The stew recipe is rich, flavorful and filling. I prefer to serve with a crusty warm bread and garnish the stew with chopped sautéed mushrooms and shallots.
- 2 lbs cubed marinated venison
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 cup marinade
- 1 cup beef gravy
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and pat dry the venison. Strain and reserve the marinade. Brown the venison in the fat. Transfer to casserole. Add salt, pepper, and all but the last two ingredients.
- Cook covered in 325 oven for 2 -3 hours. OR cook in slow cooker .
- Remove venison to serving dish. Strain liquid add red currant jelly and cream and heat to warm but do not boil. Serve with crusty warm bread or oven fries and a veggie of choice. Requires a robust burgundy for even more pleasure.