12 hrs 20 mins
Lisa Hayward's Note:
This is a winter-time favorite. Nothing warms your chilled bones better than a hot bowl of thick, meaty stew. This recipe can also be used with beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb venison, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped in large pieces
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, whole
- 1 cup carrot, cut in lengths of about 2 inches
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1In a medium frying pan, fry venison and onion, just enough to sear the outside of the meat.
- 2Put all ingredients, except the flour, salt and pepper in a slow cooker or crock pot.
- 3Allow to cook on high for about 5 hours.
- 4Add flour and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Cook for another 5-7 hours on low.
- 6You can leave it on low for several hours over and above the cooking time, which will allow the stew to become thicker and the meat more tender to your personal liking.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venison Stew
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.3
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 38.0 mg
- Sodium 245.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 14.2 g