Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This is a winter-time favorite. Nothing warms your chilled bones better than a hot bowl of thick, meaty stew. This recipe can also be used with beef.
- 1 lb venison, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped in large pieces
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, whole
- 1 cup carrot, cut in lengths of about 2 inches
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- In a medium frying pan, fry venison and onion, just enough to sear the outside of the meat.
- Put all ingredients, except the flour, salt and pepper in a slow cooker or crock pot.
- Allow to cook on high for about 5 hours.
- Add flour and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for another 5-7 hours on low.
- You can leave it on low for several hours over and above the cooking time, which will allow the stew to become thicker and the meat more tender to your personal liking.
Great stew! I coat the meat with flour, salt and pepper before browning though. That way you don't have to add it later to thicken the stew and you avoid that raw flour taste you ocasionally get when adding flour straight to a soup or stew.
This Is definitley the best stew i have had yet i used beef insead of Venison since i didnt have any but i also added 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke Marinade WOW!! its great you can also cook this is a crock pot for 6 hours on high
I have been trying stew recipes for a couple years now and just never found the perfect one - my search has finally ended! I added a tbsp of minced garlic when I browned the meat (because I add garlic to almost everything). I also put dumplings in the crock pot for the last 25 minutes (the Bisquick Dumpling recipe from this site). Thank you for such a great recipe!