Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Thin strips of steak are marinated in a lime and chipotle chili sauce, breaded and then fried in oil. I made this recipe to take the gamey flavor out of venison steaks, but it works great for any type of steaks or even for homemade chicken strips. Cook time includes time to marinade.
- 1 lb venison steak (or beef, or chicken)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cajun seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika (more or less to taste)
- Cut steaks into 1/2 inch wide strips, trimming excess fat.
- Mix marinade ingredients in medium bowl.
- Add steak strips into marinade and let soak at least 1 hour.
- In a gallon ziploc bag combine flour, cajun seasoning, pepper and paprika.
- Put steak strips a handful at a time into the flour mixture, zip bag closed and shake until meat is fully coated.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add enough oil to completely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Shake excess flour off steak strips and, in batches, fry them in the oil about 2 minutes, flip them over and fry 2 more minutes until golden brown, adding more oil as necessary.
- Place cooked strips onto paper towels to absorb oil.
I made this tonight with deer. It was a hit with everyone it was so tender it melts in your mouth