1/1 Photo of Venison Steak Sandwich W/ Caramelized Onions
courtesy of Highland Game, these are delish. Can use tender beef instead. time does not include 2 hour marinading time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g venison steak
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki marinade
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the mustard mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the caramelised onions
- 1Trim any fat or sinew from the venison and place in plastic bag with the teriyaki marinade and sesame oil, turn to coat the steaks in the marinade. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least two hours, turning occasionally.
- 2Mix the mayonnaise with the mustard and season to taste.
- 3If making the caramelised onions, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onions. Stir to coat with the butter, add two tablespoons water, cover and cook over a gentle heat for ten minutes.
- 4Uncover, sprinkle with the caster sugar and balsamic vinegar and turn up the heat. Cook over a brisk heat for about another ten minutes, stirring from time to time, but watching it like a hawk! The onions should start to turn a beautiful rich brown colour, if not, just cook a little longer! Set aside when cooked.
- 5Heat a ridged griddle pan until smoking hot. Remove the venison from the marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper. Put the venison on the griddle to sear for 2-3 minutes then turn the heat down to medium and griddle without moving for another 2-3 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further three minutes. This is for rare meat, cook for 2-3 minutes longer for medium rare. Lift onto a plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for ten minutes to allow the venison to relax.
- 6Brush the ciabatta loaf and with olive oil then toast on the griddle or under the grill.
- 7Slice the Venison thinly. Spread one half of the toasted ciabatta liberally with mustard mayonnaise, top with a bit of salad, then with the venison, then the onions (if using) more mayonnaise and finally the remaining ciabatta top. Cut the bread in two or four and eat immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venison Steak Sandwich W/ Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.5
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 231.6 mg
- Sodium 1005.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 47.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard
salt & freshly ground black pepper