Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light. September 2008. We have a freezer full of venison every year so this will be a nice variation to our usual line-up of dishes to use it all.
- 1⁄4 lb spicy chicken sausage
- cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb venison loin, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage, onion, and garlic to pan; saute 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring to crumble sausage.
- Add venison; cook 4 minutes or until venison is browned. Stir in tomato paste; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and next 5 ingredients (through cumin), scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until venison is tender.
- Stir in black beans; cook 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Top each serving with crumbled goat cheese. Serve with jalapeno slices, if desired.