1/1 Photo of Venison Sauerbraten
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place venison roast in a glass or earthenware bowl or baking dish with onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, berries, cloves, vinegar, boiling water, and salt.
- 2Cover tightly and refrigerate, turning venison twice a day for at least 3 days.
- 3Never pierce the meat when turning.
- 4Remove venison from marinade and reserve the marinade.
- 5Cook venison in the shortening in a heavy skillet until brown on all sides.
- 6Add the marinade mixture.
- 7Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- 8Cover and simmer until venison is tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hrs.
- 9(Crockpot on high all day.... works) Remove venison and onions from skillet and keep warm.
- 10Strain and measure liquid in skillet.
- 11Add enough water to liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups.
- 12Pour liquid into skillet.
- 13Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 14Stir gingersnaps and sugar into liquid.
- 15Cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- 16Serve venison with onions and gravy.
Browse Our Top Deer Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Deer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venison Sauerbraten
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.2
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1302.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
venison chuck roast