Prep 72 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
- 3 -4 lbs venison chuck roast
- 2 sliced onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 peppercorns
- 12 juniper berries (optional)
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 12 gingersnaps, crushed (3/4 c)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place venison roast in a glass or earthenware bowl or baking dish with onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, berries, cloves, vinegar, boiling water, and salt.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate, turning venison twice a day for at least 3 days.
- Never pierce the meat when turning.
- Remove venison from marinade and reserve the marinade.
- Cook venison in the shortening in a heavy skillet until brown on all sides.
- Add the marinade mixture.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until venison is tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hrs.
- (Crockpot on high all day.... works) Remove venison and onions from skillet and keep warm.
- Strain and measure liquid in skillet.
- Add enough water to liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups.
- Pour liquid into skillet.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir gingersnaps and sugar into liquid.
- Cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Serve venison with onions and gravy.