Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Extra deer or moose meat? Try this.
- 5 lbs ground deer meat
- 5 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap pushed down on meat mixture.
- Refrigerate 4 days mixing well at least once a day.
- On 4th day form mixture into long rolls, place on baking sheet.
- Cook 225 F for 4 hours.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
This is an excellent no/low fat salami. Followed the recipe exactly; however, will probably add a pinch of garlic to the next batch. I also will be rolling it over once an hour during the baking process as it was a bit flat on the bottom side. So glad to have found this as husband is a hunter; always looking for new and healthful ways to use venison.
Just finished my first batch of this salami. My husband loves it. He can't wait to take some to deer camp this year. This recipe is very simple. I tried turning the loaves while they were cooking as the first reviewer suggested, however, it didn't work so well for me(They seemed to roll back to the original position.) I thought they turned out quite rounded anyway. Thank you for the recipe! Will use it many times.
this is a great recipes folks !! my own version includes, liquid smoke (what a difference)and onion power. and let set for 48hrs. and baked @300 for 1hr , just use half the meat and tender quick or season to your taste . enjoy!