Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have scoured the web looking for different things to do with venison. So tired of all the chili and stew recipes! Not sure where this came from, but it was fantastic. My husband likes it better than chicken pot pie.
- 2 lbs venison stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup green peas
- 1⁄2 cup chicken or 1⁄2 cup beef or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (9 inch) prepared pastry dough
- 1) Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly grease a 9-inch deep pie dish.
- 2) Season venison with salt and pepper. Roll in flour to coat.
- 3) Heat butter in a large skillet over medium. Add venison and brown on all sides, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add onions, carrots, and garlic; cook until softened, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add wine, peas, broth, and Bay leaves; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low 20 minutes.
- 4) Transfer mixture to prepared pie dish. Cover with prepared pastry dough and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until top is golden and juices are bubbly.