Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great recipe for those cuts of venison that aren't so tender. Great way to use (not lose) the front legs. This dish is like a stew/stroganoff dish. Preparation time does not include marinating.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs venison, cubed
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup flour, mixed with
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced medium
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons hungarian hot paprika (has to be HOT)
- bacon grease (this really does add flavor) or lard, for frying (this really does add flavor)
- sour cream, to thicken (optional)
- Soak venison cubes in buttermilk, 8hrs or overnight.
- Rinse cubes and pat dry.
- Combine flour and spices.
- Shake the cubes in flour mixture.
- Gently pound the flour mixture into the cubes with mallet.
- Brown the venison in the bacon grease; remove.
- Add onions and celery cook till tender, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pan.
- Return cubes and add the broth and 1/2 of the hot paprika.
- Simmer about 2 hours or till tender.
- Thicken with sour cream and serve over noodles.
- Sprinkle remaining paprika over venison, but be careful, this makes it really spicy. I let everyone do their own addition, according to taste.