This is a great dish my father used to make all the time. Smells great cooking, and tastes even better then it looks. I use spicy sausage, but sweet would taste great as well. Would work fine with regular sausge links as well, though I prefer Moose or Venison personally.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan
- Brown the sausage in the oil until no longer pink outside.
- Remove the sausage and drain on plate with paper towels.
- Put the peppers and onions into the frying pan (add additional oil if needed).
- Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Slice the sausages down the middle, but do not cut all the way through.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the peppers and onion.
- Place the sausages back into the pan with the peppers and onions, fanning them out on top.
- Simmer the sausages with peppers and onions for 15 minutes.
- Serve on hoagie or sub rolls (or whatever bread you prefer).
- I like to add some spicey mustard to my sandwich, but add whatever condiment suites your taste.