Recipe by Gail2293
This is a great comfort food. I use ground venison but you could use any ground meat. It melts in your mouth and is a fix it and forget it kind of recipe. You can do it in the crockpot or throw it in a 350°F oven for an hour or so and call it done. I got this recipe from the recipe book that came with one of my crock pots. Use whatever vegetables you like or just use the leftovers from the past few days, that's what I usually do.
Top Review by Kitsune
My husband was given some ground venison and so we tried this recipe as it was basically a shepards pie, which we like. It was terribly bland and dry. I don't know if venison is normally dry or what, but this definitely needs some seasoning.
- 2 lbs ground venison, browned & drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese