Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a great comfort food. I use ground venison but you could use any ground meat. It melts in your mouth and is a fix it and forget it kind of recipe. You can do it in the crockpot or throw it in a 350°F oven for an hour or so and call it done. I got this recipe from the recipe book that came with one of my crock pots. Use whatever vegetables you like or just use the leftovers from the past few days, that's what I usually do.
- 2 lbs ground venison, browned & drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Combine first 7 ingredients.
- Pour into crock pot or baking dish.
- Combine potato flakes, sour cream and water. Spread over venison mixture.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 8 hours (HIGH for 4).
- Sprinkle with cheese 30 minutes before serving.
My husband was given some ground venison and so we tried this recipe as it was basically a shepards pie, which we like. It was terribly bland and dry. I don't know if venison is normally dry or what, but this definitely needs some seasoning.
This was very good and easy to make. I found the potatoes a little stiff to spread, so I added a little milk to them. Turned out great!! Family loves it!!
I though this was very simple recipe and very versatile. I added just peas to mine but next time I may use corn as they like corn better. This is comfort food and it reheated well the next day when I took it to work. Thanks for a good venison/crockpot recipe.