Recipe by Sharon123
An exceptional way to use venison!
Top Review by KateL
DH thanks you from the bottom of his heart! This is a marvelous recipe, each step leading to a grand finale. Boy, am I glad I kept my old 5-qt stainless steel deep skillet! Just perfect! Forget about cooking sherry, dry sherry needs no refrigeration, and Taylor's delivers in style. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs venison or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil (or olive)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups beef or 3 cups chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cooking sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 12 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles (or 16-oz. pkg.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, salt, lemon pepper, and celery seed in bowl.
- Add cubed meat and knead meat into flour mixture.
- Heat corn oil and one tbsp butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Shake excess flour from meat and set pieces into heated oil; brown meat on each side.
- When meat is almost brown on remaining side, pour chopped onions over meat.
- Cover five minutes, then mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add one cup beef (or chicken) bouillon and soy sauce to meat.
- Simmer 15 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Then add a second cup of the beef bouillon, cooking wine and rosemary leaves to the meat mixture.
- Allow the meat to simmer on low heat foran additional 30 to 35 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Don't be in a hurry, as cooking time affects the tenderness of the meat.
- When done, the meat should be covered with a thick, brown gravy.
- Using a separate skillet (preferably stainless steel), combine the remaining cup of beef bouillon and 1 tbsp butter.
- Heat to simmer.
- Add fresh, sliced mushrooms and simmer five minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare egg noodles in a separate pan, following instructions on label.
- Add mushroom soup to steamed mushrooms.
- Simmer 5 minutes, then add sour cream; simmer another 5 minutes.
- Finally, fold the meat mixture into the mushroom mixture.
- Simmer an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately with egg noodles (as a side dish) and your favorite vegetable and bread.
- (Sometimes I just throw it all into a crock pot and let it cook on low about 6-8 hours. It's good that way too!).