1 hr 20 mins
This is a by request recipe that comes highly recomended.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 carrots
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 lbs ground venison
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 cup Progresso Italian-style fine bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package thick sliced bacon
- 1In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and cook to golden.
- 3Add ginger, fennel and marjoram.
- 4Cook for 1 minute more.
- 5Scrape into a bowl and set aside.
- 6Cut carrots into 3 inch lengths, rinse pan, add some water and simmer carrots, covered for 5 minutes.
- 7Drain and set aside.
- 8To onion mixture add eggs, venison, pork, crumbs, milk, salt and pepper-mix well.
- 9Take the bacon, slice by slice and line a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
- 10Take a couple of slices and line the ends.
- 11Take half the meat mixture and pat in evenly over bacon.
- 12Layer carrots, then remaining meat mixture.
- 13Fold the ends of bacon over top.
- 14Place loaf pan in a larger pan with 1 inch of boiling water.
- 15Place in a pre-heated, 350F oven.
- 16Bake for 1 hour.
- 17Remove pan from water and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 18Tilt pan and drain juices.
- 19Place a plate over top and invert loaf.
- 20Serve hot or cold.
- 21Keeps in fridge up to 5 days.
Browse Our Top Deer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venison Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.4
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 178.8 mg
- Sodium 952.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 32.7 g