Recipe by Dib's
This is a by request recipe that comes highly recomended.
Top Review by gwynn
DIB's, I would highly recommemd this loaf. My whole family thought it was very good. My sister dropped by at the time I made it and stated it was the best loaf she had ever tasted. I like adding the pork. I think it makes it. Thanks for this tasty recipe.
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 carrots
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground venison
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 cup Progresso Italian-style fine bread crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package thick sliced bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook to golden.
- Add ginger, fennel and marjoram.
- Cook for 1 minute more.
- Scrape into a bowl and set aside.
- Cut carrots into 3 inch lengths, rinse pan, add some water and simmer carrots, covered for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- To onion mixture add eggs, venison, pork, crumbs, milk, salt and pepper-mix well.
- Take the bacon, slice by slice and line a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
- Take a couple of slices and line the ends.
- Take half the meat mixture and pat in evenly over bacon.
- Layer carrots, then remaining meat mixture.
- Fold the ends of bacon over top.
- Place loaf pan in a larger pan with 1 inch of boiling water.
- Place in a pre-heated, 350F oven.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove pan from water and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Tilt pan and drain juices.
- Place a plate over top and invert loaf.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Keeps in fridge up to 5 days.