Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
Without meaning to brag, this is the best lasagne recipe I've ever tasted. It's perfect if you're trying to figure out what to do with ground venison because the tomato sauce does an incredible job of removing/masking the wild taste, but of course you can use ground beef as well. Even "Oh, I don't eat deer meat" people will love this -- just don't tell them until afterwards! My recipe book says the fennel is optional, but that's your KILLER SECRET INGREDIENT! It's not optional in my opinion!! You could also add a package of frozen spinach (thawed and drained) as well.
Top Review by Stephanie & KV
We just found this website while searching for a venison lasagna...what a surprise! This recipe is the best lasagna I have ever tasted in a high end restaurant. Our hats are definitely off to you...great work! Can you come and cook for us??? :)
- 10 lasagna noodles, cooked (or more or less, depending on how much pasta you like)
- 453.59 g ground venison (or beef)
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 226.79 g can crushed tomatoes
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml fennel
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 473.18 ml cottage cheese (or ricotta)
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 14.79 ml parsley
- 226.79 g mozzarella cheese, sliced (or shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lasagne noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- For meat sauce: In a large saucepan or skillet, scramble-fry meat, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat (if you're using venison, there likely won't be any -- that's my little plug for venison!).
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For Cheese Filling: Combine egg, cottage cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- Layer half lasagne noodles in a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Spread with half the meat sauce and then half the cheese filling. Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on top and additional grated mozzarella, if desired.
- Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes and let stand 10 minutes before serving.