Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My dad asked me a while ago if I still had his jerky recipe. Apparently, I do. It's awfully simple, but you get to taste the actual meat rather than some other flavours I've had where the meat is secondary to what it was treated with. How many servings is a guess, since it depends on how much you eat, and how much you made. I based it on getting four servings out of a pound, and making ten pounds.
- Cut venison into 1/4 inch thick strips.
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil; boil for 5 minutes.
- Place meat between paper towels and roll out excess water.
- *The jerky at this point should have a gray-brown colour. Red colour indicates that the meat was not boiled long enough.
- Align strips on the oven rack allowing space between for air circulation.
- Set oven for 200°F.
- Keep oven door cracked to let moisture escape.
- The drying process takes about 1 1/2 hours.
- The finished product may be stored in plastic bags, jars, or coffee cans, and need not be sealed.