Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
For special occasions. Mushrooms may be added if wished.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 lbs venison, cubed shoulder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large casserole.
- Dust the venison in flour and seal on all sides.
- Add onions and celery and cook for a few minsutes.
- Add wine, stock cube chopped sage and enough water to almost cover.
- Put on the lid, bring to a simmer and put in a low oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Taste and adgust the seasoning and serve with roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots and peas.