Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a good way to use up leftover venison. I usually don't have leftovers so I have to make fresh when making this. I ground my venison with a hand grinder much like my grandmother did. I hope you enjoy an old family favorite of ours.
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups ground venison, browned
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in 16 pcs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- Brown onion and potatoes in bacon fat. Add flour and make a roux:, add venison, broth and spices. Let simmer until tender.
I made this last night and will not be making this again. I followed the directions exactly except for the 16 pieces of potatoes. I just chopped them up and didn't think it was important to count them. The meat needs seasoned before you add it to the rest of the mixture. It was very gamey tasting and the whole dish had no flavor whatsoever. It also didn't look like any kind of hash I have ever had. It was very soupy. I'm disappointed I wasted my time and ingredients in this dish and even more disappointed that I have to have it as leftovers tonight.
This was wonderful! A great flavor! No game taste what so ever.