Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Adapted from the New York Times Cookbook. Any cut of venison may be used for this recipe.
Make and share this Venison Goulash recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs venison, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 large onion, sliced (or chopped fine)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 quart boiling water (or stock)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- Roll meat in flour, pressing it in well.
- Melt fat in a skillet.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add venison and brown well.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, cover, and simmer gently until meat is tender, 2-3 hours, adding more liquid if necessary.