Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
For an hors d’oeuvre, top a 1/2" sourdough baguette slice with a little sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, and melt. Spoon on some chili and chopped scallions, and serve.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs venison stew meat (trimmed, roughly ground or diced)
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped canned tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Add venison and onions, and brown for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, garlic, jalapenos, apples, salt and black pepper, and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and red wine.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer partially covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, adding more broth if mixture becomes dry.
- Taste to adjust seasonings, and serve.