Very similar to Julia Child's famous Boeuf Bourguignon. A family favorite comfort food.
Make and share this Venison Bourguignon (Venison Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs venison, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 medium carrot, chopped rough
- 1 medium onion, chopped rough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups red wine, full bodied
- 2 -3 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 bay leaves
Mushroom and Onion mixture
- 18 -24 baby white onions, peeled
- 1 lb mushroom, fresh, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons beef stock
- Sauté meat cubes in bacon dripping until all sides are browned.
- Remove meat and sauté onion and carrot. When cooked, set vegetables aside, drain fat, and return meat to pan and toss with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over mixture and toss to coat.
- Place uncovered casserole on middle rack of preheated 450 degree oven for 5 minutes, to lightly crust meat. Remove casserole from oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees.
- Stir in wine and enough stock so that the meat is covered. Add tomato paste, garlic and herbs. Bring to a simmer, on top of stove. Toss cooked vegetables in casserole. Cover casserole and return to oven. Cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours until meat is tender.
- While meat is cooking, sauté mushrooms and baby onions in butter and beef stock. Set aside until needed.
- When meat is ready, pour contents of casserole in large sieve set over a sauce pan. Remove meat pieces and return to casserole. Add the mushroom and baby onion mixture to casserole.
- Simmer broth in saucepan for a minute or two, skimming fat as it rises. You should have at least 2 ½ cups of sauce. Taste for seasoning. Pour sauce over mixture.