1/2 Photos of Venison Bourguignon (Venison Stew)
3 hrs 30 mins
Very similar to Julia Child's famous Boeuf Bourguignon. A family favorite comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs venison, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 medium carrot, chopped rough
- 1 medium onion, chopped rough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups red wine, full bodied
- 2 -3 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 bay leaves
Mushroom and Onion mixture
- 1Sauté meat cubes in bacon dripping until all sides are browned.
- 2Remove meat and sauté onion and carrot. When cooked, set vegetables aside, drain fat, and return meat to pan and toss with salt and pepper.
- 3Sprinkle flour evenly over mixture and toss to coat.
- 4Place uncovered casserole on middle rack of preheated 450 degree oven for 5 minutes, to lightly crust meat. Remove casserole from oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees.
- 5Stir in wine and enough stock so that the meat is covered. Add tomato paste, garlic and herbs. Bring to a simmer, on top of stove. Toss cooked vegetables in casserole. Cover casserole and return to oven. Cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours until meat is tender.
- 6While meat is cooking, sauté mushrooms and baby onions in butter and beef stock. Set aside until needed.
- 7When meat is ready, pour contents of casserole in large sieve set over a sauce pan. Remove meat pieces and return to casserole. Add the mushroom and baby onion mixture to casserole.
- 8Simmer broth in saucepan for a minute or two, skimming fat as it rises. You should have at least 2 ½ cups of sauce. Taste for seasoning. Pour sauce over mixture.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venison Bourguignon (Venison Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (823 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.6
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 204.6 mg
- Sodium 886.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 59.2 g