Recipe by Domestic Goddess
A very good meatloaf, made with ground venison, lean ground beef, eggs, onion, green bell peppers, rolled oats, tomato juice, prepared horseradish, ketchup and spices.
- 1⁄4 cup crisco butter flavor shortening
- 1 large onion, diced (about 3/4-1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 lb lean ground beef (like sirloin or ground round)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- black pepper, desired amount
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 cup rolled quick oats
- 3⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of a 13x9-inch glass pyrex baking dish with a no-stick cooking spray.
- In a small skillet, melt the shortening. Add the diced onion and green peppers. Saute for 5 minutes, then set aside.
- DO NOT DRAIN OFF THE GREASE FROM THE SAUTEED VEGETABLES, THIS WILL HELP TO KEEP THE MEATLOAF MOIST.
- In a bowl mix together, the venison, sirloin, mustard, seasoned salt, pepper, eggs, horseradish, quick oats, the sauteed onion and peppers, and the tomato juice.
- Place loaf mixture into the pyrex baking dish. Shape into a rectangular loaf.
- Top loaf with the 1 cup of ketchup.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour.
- After removing loaf from oven, set on stove for 5 minutes, before slicing; then serve.