Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
I came up with these one day, before I found Recipe*zaar, looking through 5 different cookbooks to get an idea as to how to make them and gave up when none seemed to be "THE ONE". Turned out great if I do say so myself and has left my entire family (extended family included) begging me for more! Tip: Blanch whole cabbage for 3 minutes days ahead of time wrap and freeze. When ready to assemble rolls plunge whole frozen cabbage into hot water and leaves will fall off nicely and be much more manageable!
- 12 large cabbage leaves (cut 1-2 inches of spine out)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 lb ground venison (I used venison sausage casing removed but ground beef is fine)
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or one clove minced)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- 24 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cheese (shredded)
- Strain tomatoes to make 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup of tomato chunks.
- Add chunks to raw meat reserving rest of tomato and juice.
- Add cooked rice,diced onion and egg to raw meat and mix all well.
- In a blender puree spices, reserved tomatoes with juice and Worcestershire sauce until well blended.
- Assemble rolls by placing 1/4 - 1/2 cup of meat mixture in center of leaves.
- Roll leaf around mixture tucking ends in as you roll.
- Lay seam side down in 9x13-inch pan.
- Pour tomato puree over rolls Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake an extra 15 minutes.
- *If you use smaller leaves you can make nice small appetizer rolls*.
- **These can be made in the crock pot as well I'm just not sure of cooking time**.