Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was the grand prize winner in the Betty Crocker create-a-casserole contest.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup shredded colby cheese (1 ounce)
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground sausage or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive
- 1 cup hot thick & chunky salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup salad dressing
- paprika, for garnish, if desired or bell peppers, slices for garnish, if desired or green onion, curls for garnish, if desired
- Heat oven to 375.
- Grease pie plate, 10x1-1/2 inches.
- Heat cornmeal, broth and garlic salt to boiling in 3-quart saucepan; stirring constantly, remove from heat.
- Stir in margarine and egg; fold in Colby cheese.
- Spread cornmeal mixture on bottom and up side of pie plate. Flute edge using oiled fingers.
- Cook ground beef (or meat of your choice) in 10-inch skillet; stirring frequently, until brown; drain.
- Stir in bell pepper, onion and olives. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in salsa; simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture into pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; bake 25 to 30 minutes or until hot.
- Mix sour cream, Cheddar cheese and mayonnaise; spread over beef mixture. Bake uncovered 15 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with paprika, bell pepper slices and green onion curls if desired.
I used ground turkey, andslivers of green,yellow and red peppers on top. I also used Miracle Whip, hubby's preference and this was a good dish.A teen pleaser, will make again. Thanks for posting!