Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a lovely, creamy rice pudding That's not too sweet. The recipe halves well to make two servings.
- 1⁄2 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Cook the rice in one cup of water.
- Boil 7 minutes, until the rice gets softer and the water is almost absorbed.
- Add the milk, cinnamon sticks, lemon peel.
- Gently simmer using med-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Add sugar and salt and cook for about 20 minutes stirring frequently, until pudding is creamy and the rice soft.
- Remove from heat and refrigerate 'til cold.
- To serve, spoon into serving bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon.
I also used half the sugar called for, but I didn't think about the salt. Not only was it still too sweet - it was way to salty!
Very good recipe!!! I put a can of condensed milk at the end and it comes out delicious!!!
Quite tasty. The cinnamon-lemon flavor was different and delicious. VERY easy to make and wonderfully creamy too. I used 1/2 cup of sugar and it turned out a bit sweet for our tastes. I think it would be absolutely wonderful made less sweet but served with some berries poured over the top -- the same sort of thing you'd use for a shortcake.