Recipe by Kozmic Blues
I saw this recipe made on 30 Minute Meals. These shrimp and scallops in the light tomato broth are delicious. I've even made this without the saffron (with a touch more garlic and spice) and it was still full of flavor. I substitute vegetable broth for the chicken, but feel free to add it back if you prefer.
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1⁄4 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup fish stock (or chicken if you prefer)
- 1 (14 ounce) candiced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
- 1 lemon, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly coat the sea scallops in flour.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add oil and butter.
- When butter melts into oil, add scallops.
- Brown scallops 2 minutes on each side, then remove from pan.
- If the pan looks a little dry, add an additional drizzle of olive oil to the pan, then add the garlic, shallots, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat, and saute garlic and shallots 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add wine to the pan and free up any bits that are stuck to the pan.
- Reduce wine about a minute, then add stock, tomatoes and saffron threads.
- When liquids come to a bubble, add shrimp and cook 3 minutes.
- Return scallops to the pan and cook shrimp and scallops 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer shrimp and scallops to a serving dish and top with basil and lemon zest.
- Serve with crusty bread to enjoy the juices.