Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In ‘ Williams-Sonoma: One Pot of the Day’
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 2 cups partially thawed frozen peas (or fresh peas)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a saucepan, bring the broth to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Decrease heat to low and maintain a simmer.
- In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until tender and golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is hot, about 2 minutes.
- Add a ladleful of broth and stir until the broth is absorbed.
- Continue to add broth a ladleful at a time, stirring and allowing it to be absorbed before adding more, for about 10 minutes.
- Adjust the heat, as needed so the liquid is absorbed rapidly.
- Stir in the peas and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Resume adding the broth a ladleful at a time and stirring until the rice is tender yet firm to the bite, 8-10 minutes.
- If you run out of broth before the rice is ready, add hot water.
- The finished rice should be loose and flowing.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, stir in the cheese and butter, and serve.