1/1 Photo of Venetian Cookies
1 hr 10 mins
Deb Wolf's Note:
These elegant 3 layer, 3 color cookies are so easy to make. The flavor is European, rich & decadent, serve these with coffee or tea. Kids like them, moms LOVE them. Don't let the long instructions scare you off. If you don't have 3 jelly-roll pans, you can still make this recipe. Just bake layers 1 at a time and be sure to let the pan cool completely before reusing for the next layer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 (7 -8 ounce) container almond paste
- 1 1/4 cups butter or 1 1/4 cups margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (essence)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot preserves, warmed and strained
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate or 6 ounces white chocolate
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 15 1/2" x 10 1/2" jelly-roll pans; line pans with waxed paper, allow waxed paper to extend over ends of pans. Grease and flour waxed paper.
- 2Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- 3In large bowl with same beaters (no need to wash them), with mixer at low speed, beat almond paste and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until it forms small lumps.
- 4Beat in margarine or butter until blended. Beat in egg yolks and almond extract. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour and salt just until combined.
- 5With rubber or silicone spatula, fold egg whites into almond mixture, one-third at a time, until combined.
- 6Remove one third of batter (about 1 1/2 rounded cups) to a small bowl. Remove half of remaining batter to another small bowl. You should have equal amounts of batter in all three bowls.
- 7Stir red food coloring into one bowl of batter (5 drops for pastel, 20 drops for dark color).
- 8Stir green food coloring into second bowl of batter.
- 9Leave the third bowl uncolored.
- 10Spread batter into the three pans (one color per pan). With offset metal spatula, spread batter as evenly as possible; each layer will be about 1/8" thick.
- 11Bake layers 10-13 minutes, rotating pany halfway through cooking time, until layers are just set. Watch closely, you want this to be slightly undercooked.
- 12Let layers cool 5 minutes in pans on wire racks. Invert layers onto racks; leave waxed paper attached; cool completely.
- 13When all 3 layers have cooled, place green layer on a platter, remove waxed paper; spread with half of the apricot preserves. Place white layer on top of the green layer, waxed paper side up; remove waxed paper. Spread with remaining apricot preserves. Place red layer on top of white layer; remove waxed paper. Press down gently over entire surface to make sure all layers are firmly attached to each other.
- 14With a serrated knife, trim edges about 1/4" from each side (cooks' treat). Spread melted chocolate on top of red layer (not on sides). Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 15Cut layers lengthwise into 6 strips. Cut each strip into 12 small rectangles.
- 16Store cookies in refrigerator in a covered container, with waxed paper between layers.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venetian Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 72
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 43.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 1.3 g