Recipe by Fandoos
A delicious Italian appetizer that you will surely fall in love with.
Top Review by Bergy
We love the flavor - tasty, easy to make and not too expensive (even if they taste like you spent hours in the kitchen) I used a European loaf of white bread, cut off the crust and then cut the slice into different shapes, four per slice. Garnished with chopped black olives and a piece of pimiento. I doubled the recipe, froze some on a cookie sheet , covered, when frozen I plastic wrapped them and put them in to a carboard box- doubled recipe made 48. Excellent appetizer thanks Fandoos
- 12 slices firm white bread
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped (about 9 medium)
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- green olives, sliced
- black olives, sliced
- red bell pepper, cut in strips
- green bell pepper, cut in strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut circles out of bread slices w/2inch round cutter.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in small saucepan.
- Brush both sides of bread circles lightly w/butter.
- Bake bread circles on ungreased baking sheet 5 to 6 minutes per side until golden.
- Remove to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Increase oven temp to 425°F.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in small saucepan.
- Stir in flour; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Whisk in milk; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce thickens and bubbles (sauce will be very thick). Take off heat, and add mushrooms to sauce, 3 tbsp cheese, salt and black pepper, and stir until well blended.
- Spread heaping tbs mushrooms mixture on top of each toast round; place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle remaining 3 tbsp cheese over canapes, dividing evenly.
- Garnish w/black and green olive slices, and bell peppers.
- Bake 5-7 minutes until tops are light brown.
- Serve warm.