For liver and onion lovers....here's the Venetian "real deal". From an Alitalia Airlines book.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy 8 or 10 inch skillet.
- Add onions and cook over moderate heat, for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the sage, cook 2-3 minutes longer, until the onions are limp and lightly colored.
- Set aside, off heat.
- Pat the liver strips dry with paper towels and season them with salt and a few grindings of pepper.
- In another large heavy skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until a light haze forms over it.
- Drop in the liver strips and saute them, turning frequently, for 2 or 3 minutes, or until they are lightly browned on all sides.
- Stir in the onions and cook with the liver for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Transfer the liver and onions to a heated platter.
- Immediately pour the white wine vinegar into the skillet and deglaze.
- Pour the sauce over the liver and onions and sprinkle with the chopped parsely.
- Serve immediately.
From another liver lover I give it 5 stars. I added a few mushrooms and used vermouth in place of the wine vinegar. Recipe enjoyed by both of us