Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My DH loves liver so I make it for him. He loved this. From Healthy Eating Cookbook Points 4.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh sage or 1⁄8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 lb calf liver, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and sage; sauté 10 minutes.
- Remove onion with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Pat liver slices dry with paper towels, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in hot skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until liver is no longer red; remove and set aside.
- Add wine to skillet and boil 2 minutes, stirring to deglaze skillet.
- Return liver and onions to skillet and mix gently.
- Spoon sauce over liver and heat through.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve over brown rice.
Thanks for posting this recipe as I had been looking for this particular Venetian version of the recipe for months. I had tried it while I was in Milan in a restaurant with venetian cuisine and it was heavenly. The best and most tender liver I've ever tasted. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it will be exactly like the original one I'd tried by reading the ingredients and the preparation. thanks!