Recipe by Sharon123
Fennel is the surprise touch here. Something abuot its unexpected flavor often fools people into thinking that this is a meat-based sauce. Ladle over Mushroom and Spinach-stuffed Zucchini, Sun Dried Tomato Polenta Cutlets, or whatever you want!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 3 cups undrained canned tomatoes (28 oz. can)
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, warm the olive oil.
- Add the onions and garlic, sprinkle with the salt, cover, and saute on very low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onions are beginning to soften.
- Add the fennel, oregano, and basil and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a boil.
- Whirl the tomatoes in a blender until just pureed and add to the pan.
- Cover the sauce and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.