Fennel is the surprise touch here. Something abuot its unexpected flavor often fools people into thinking that this is a meat-based sauce. Ladle over Mushroom and Spinach-stuffed Zucchini, Sun Dried Tomato Polenta Cutlets, or whatever you want!
- In a saucepan, warm the olive oil.
- Add the onions and garlic, sprinkle with the salt, cover, and saute on very low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onions are beginning to soften.
- Add the fennel, oregano, and basil and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a boil.
- Whirl the tomatoes in a blender until just pureed and add to the pan.
- Cover the sauce and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I have made sauce with fennel before and it is a nice surprise. I served it on sausage sandwiches. I also made twice the amount so I can freeze some for future use.